Get to Know Dr. Markovitz
Lawrence Jay Markovitz, MD, FACS, is a board-certified thoracic surgeon with decades of experience in cardiac and thoracic surgery. In 2008 he turned his professional focus to diagnosing and treating venous disorders. He comes to Center for Vein Restoration as the past president of Virginia Vein Care, McLean, Virginia.
Dr. Markovitz is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the American Vein and Lymphatic Society. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and American College of Chest Physicians. He is the author of multiple publications, abstracts, and presentations.
Dr. Markovitz's Credentials
- Board-certified, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Board-certified, American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Medical degree, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York
- Internship, General Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Clinical Research Fellowship, Hadassah Hospital, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
- Residency, General Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Research Fellowship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Residency, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Clinical Fellowship, Adult & Pediatric Open-Heart Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Member, Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, American Vein and Lymphatic Society
- General Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Venous & Lymphatic Medicine
More About Dr. Markovitz
After decades as a cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Lawrence Markovitz turned his focus to venous and lymphatic medicine “as a way to have a big and lasting impact on the quality of life of his patients” using minimally invasive vein procedures that do not require general anesthesia. Dr. Markovitz finds that his patients are very pleased with the results of these office-based vein health procedures, which is professionally gratifying for him.
After fourteen years of treating patients at Virginia Vein Care in McLean and Purcellville, Dr. Markovitz decided to join Center for Vein Restoration (CVR). He cites “CVR’s reputation as a large, excellent vein care provider” through which he could reach and help the most people as the reason for his move to CVR.
Dr. Markovitz is proud that he brings not only his “acute and finely-tuned skill set” as an experienced surgeon to CVR but also his compassion, empathy, and sincere desire to achieve the best possible outcomes for his patients. He wants providers who refer their patients to him to know that he communicates thoroughly with referring physicians and delivers the highest quality of care in the industry to their patients.
Publications, including Washingtonian Magazine and Washington Checkbook, have recognized Dr. Markovitz as one of their Top Doctors, Top Regional Doctors, and America’s Top Surgeons.
“Patients will come to see me because they are experiencing pain in their legs. It’s my role to sort out the severity of their problems, prioritize what needs to be treated and what does not need to be treated, and provide them with excellent outcomes.” – Lawrence Jay Markovitz, MD, FACS