Get to Know Dr. Liao
Dr. Liao board-certified General Surgeon with special expertise minimally invasive procedures and over 20 years of medical experience. Dr. Liao obtained his medical degree from the Jefferson Medical College as part of the Penn State/Jefferson combined six-year BS, MD program. During his time at Jefferson, Dr. Liao also completed a PhD in Pharmacology. Following his medical education, he had many and prestigious academic and private practice appointments. Starting in 2014, he practiced with Maryland Vein Professionals, and then joined the Center for Vein Restoration in 2020 when the two companies partnered.
Dr. Liao's Credentials
- General Surgery
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Fellow, Surgical Endoscopy and Advanced Laparoscopy
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Chief Resident, Department of Surgery
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Resident, Department of Surgery
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Intern, Department of Surgery
- Thomas Jefferson University, PhD in Pharmacology
- Jefferson Medical College, MD
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate, American Board of Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Varicose Veins
- Spider Veins
- Venous Insufficiency
- Bariatric Surgery
- 3rd Annual Laparoscopic Skills Invitational Competition, 3rd Place Overall (1998)
More About Dr. Liao
In 1994, Dr. Liao he started Residency in General Surgery at University of Maryland. He continued at University of Maryland with a Fellowship in Surgical Endoscopy and Advanced Laparoscopy. In 2001 he returned as faculty at the University of Maryland teaching residents General Surgery, Flexible Endoscopy and Advanced Laparoscopy.
Dr. Liao left UMMS to teach at one of the oldest residency programs in Baltimore, Union Memorial Hospital, where he was Director of the Minimally Invasive Bariatric program, an Instructor in General Surgery and a preceptor to rotating medical students. He practiced General and Bariatric Surgery at GBMC until 2014. For the last four years, he has focused exclusively minimally invasive treatment of varicose and spider veins and their underlying cause, venous insufficiency.