Sean K. Stewart
Get to Know Dr. Stewart
Today, you will be seen by Dr. Sean Stewart, a Maryland native who takes pride in serving his community. Dr. Stewart has been providing outstanding patient care with the Center for Vein Restoration since 2010. He is the Regional Medical Director for Maryland North and the Director of the Chemical Ablation and Sclerotherapy Program for Center for Vein Restoration. Dr. Stewart is a graduate of the University of Maryland at College Park, where he studied Zoology with an emphasis in Neuroscience and Physiology. Upon graduation, he was awarded a National Institutes of Health fellowship in the specialty area of pediatric AIDS research. His research was published in multiple peer review medical journals and was presented on the world stage.
Dr. Stewart's Credentials
- Venous Disease
- University of Maryland Medical School
- GBMC, Baltimore
- Spider Veins
- Varicose Veins
- Venous Insufficiency
More About Dr. Stewart
Dr. Stewart achieved his Master’s degree in Physiology and Biophysics at Georgetown University, and graduated with honors and distinction at the top of his class. He pursued his doctorate and graduated from the University of Maryland Medical School and was trained at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore City. In 2003, he was awarded the Emergency Medicine Distinguished Service Award at the University of Maryland.
During his residency training, Dr. Stewart was involved in developing an emergency ultrasound fellowship program for emergency doctors. As a result, Dr. Stewart has over 12 years’ experience with ultrasound-guided venous access, the very foundation used today in the procedures offered in his vein centers. Dr. Stewart has spent seven years as a managing partner in the emergency department at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, Maryland. He was also an associate professor with the Georgetown University Medical School. He currently has privileges at Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
After these rewarding professional milestones, Dr. Stewart is proud to now serve on the team at Center for Vein Restoration, where the physicians have rededicated their careers to bringing relief to patients coping with venous disease.
“I was trained in bedside ultrasound and ultrasound guided venous access which are the foundation of today’s modern treatments for venous disease,” he says. “I wanted to expand on my ultrasound skills and join a team of respected physicians with like interests!
“I have always been interested in treating individuals of all ages and walks of life. Venous disease does not discriminate and allows for this opportunity. I wanted to impact people in a positive manner. Treating venous disease helps alleviate unnecessary discomfort, improves quality of life and helps reduce the financial burden on our health care system. It’s fulfilling improving how people feel, motivating people to live a more healthy lifestyle and helping people to become more socially engaged.”
His dedication to providing state-of-the-art treatments comes at an important time – an estimated 40 million Americans now suffer from vein disease. Medical practice is rapidly advancing to reduce the suffering from painful symptoms, and yet it’s still too often an under-diagnosed condition.
“I’m interested in increasing awareness of this common disease. Participating in providing treatment to people suffering from this under diagnosed and under appreciated disease.”
Dr. Stewart describes his personal work in the field of venous insufficiency and areas where he has a particular focus:
“Treating all stages of venous disease of the lower extremities. Treating varicose veins by use of ambulatory phlebectomy and Ultrasound guided Sclerotherapy techniques. Treating venous ulcers, restless leg syndrome secondary to venous disease, lower extremity edema, and skin changes due to venous insufficiency.”
Meet Our Provider Team
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Wesley College in Delaware
- Master of Science in Nursing with a concentration in Leadership and Administration from Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Master of Science in Nursing, concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner, with honors from Chamberlain University
- Formerly worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center in the Critical Care Unit and as a Nurse Practitioner in the field of pulmonary and sleep medicine
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology from University of Maryland College Park
- Master of Science in Health Sciences from The George Washington University in Washington, DC
- Former internal medicine Hospitalist at Anne Arundel Medical Center
- Trained at multiple hospitals in Maryland and DC including St. Agnes Hospital, Medstar George Washington University Hospital, Johns Hopkins Howard County General Hospital, and Anne Arundel Medical Center
- Nationally accredited Physician Assistant with 7+ years of experience with veins; starting as a patient, then a surgical assistant, and now serving as a PA/provider
- Board-certified Nurse Practitioner with 6+ years of experience providing patient- centered venous care
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing with honors from University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Master of Science in Nursing with honors with an Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner concentration from University of Maryland, Baltimore
- Upon completion of Nurse Practitioner training, provided direct patient care at Woodholme Gastroenterology with a specialized focus in Hepatology
- Began career as critical and emergency care nurse in Baltimore, Maryland, as well as a travel nurse in Longmont, Colorado